Benefits of Water Intake During Pregnancy
Written by: Aubrey Meister
During pregnancy, how you take care of your body is critical. What you do directly affects the development of the baby on the way. While proper hydration is important for everyone, it is even more important for those who are pregnant.
There are several reasons that you should drink plenty of water during pregnancy, including:
- Water is needed to carry oxygen and nutrients throughout the body. These nutrients must be transported so that your baby can continue to develop.
- Water may help with morning sickness and indigestion. Heartburn may also be less intense when you’re properly hydrated.
- Water helps to maintain the right level of amniotic fluid.
- Water aids fetal kidney function. This is because the water can help as your baby’s kidneys filter waste.
- Water can help relieve any of the aches you might experience while pregnant.
- Water can prevent premature labor. Dehydration may lead to premature contractions.
During pregnancy, it’s recommended that you drink at least 90 ounces of water each day. This will help you to have both a healthy pregnancy and to stay hydrated if you are breastfeeding. One easy way to tell whether you’re hydrated is by looking at your urine. If your urine is dark yellow, you are dehydrated. It should be very light yellow or even clear.
Drinking enough water can be challenging. If you often find yourself forgetting, here are a couple of ways to remind yourself to stay hydrated:
- Use a tracking water bottle, like one of the Leboha Pregnancy and Breastfeeding Water Bottle Tracker. Tracking water bottles help you to keep track of your intake. You can set goals for how much water you need to drink at certain times throughout the day.
- Set timers on your phone or smart watch. You can set timers throughout the day to remind yourself to drink a bottle of water or another specific amount of water. This can help you to get into a routine.
- Keep a water bottle with you at all times. This can help you to remember to drink more water throughout your day.
Hydration is essential in pregnancy. There are many benefits of staying hydrated throughout pregnancy and beyond. Without proper hydration, you may experience signs of dehydration. Dehydration during pregnancy can lead to issues such as low amniotic fluid and premature birth. By choosing to drink plenty of water, you can do what is best for your body and your baby too.
You Might Like